Teen Information: Age Requirements
Class E-Minimum age seventeen (17) years of age.
Class E- Minimum fifteen (15) years of age Must complete all stages of the graduated licensing program.
Stage 1: LEARNER'S PERMIT
1. Minimum fifteen (15) years of age.
2. Must complete thirty (30) hours classroom instruction and 8 hours behind the wheel driving instruction.
3. Must pass vision exam, written test and traffic signs test.
4. Authorized to drive with a licensed adult at least twenty-one (21) years of age or sibling at least eighteen (18) years if age.
5. Must maintain learner's license for a minimum of one hundred eighty days(180) days and cannot change to intermediate stage until attainment of sixteenth (16) birthday.
STAGE 2: INTERMEDIATE LICENSE
1. Must have completed STAGE 1,
2. Minimum sixteen (16) years of age.
3. Must pass the road skills driving test.
4. Prohibited from driving between the hours of 11:00 p.m. and 5:00 a.m. , unless accompanied by a licensed adult at lease twenty-one (21) years of age or sibling at least eighteen (18) years of age.
5. Must be maintained until attainment of seventeenth (17) birthday.
STAGE: 3: FULL LICENSE
1. Must successfully complete STAGES 1 and 2 or
2. Must be at lease seventeen (17) years of age prior to application for first license.
NOTE: Applicants seventeen (17) years of age or above who have not entered the graduated licensing program may apply for full Class E license or a learner's permit upon completion of a full driver's education course or a six (6) hour pre-licensing course. An out-of-state applicant sixteen (16) years of age who has had a license or a permit for a minimum of one hundred and eighty days (180) maybe eligible to bypass the learner's permit stage and be issued an intermediate license.
Effective September 2013 any Student under the age 18 is required to show proof of enrollment of enrollment from a high school, GED program or submit a diploma showing they have graduated. The form is issued from the students school.
NOTE: Upgrading from Permit to Intermediate (age):
Effective January 1, 2009 R.S.32:407(A) requires that no applicant shall be issued a class E intermediate license unless a signed statement by the parent or legal guardian is provided to the department attesting that the applicant has a minimum of thirty-five (50) hours of behind the wheel experience with a licensed adult driver.