top of page

 Temporary Instructional Permit (TIP)


Effective Tuesday, September 4, 2018 anyone will be able to apply for a TIP.


 Note: All student must register at the OMV before coming to driving school.

A TIP is a class “E” credential that will indicate “Temporary Instruction Permit”.  All students enrolled in a driver education or pre-licensing course on or after the effective date must present a TIP.  In addition, the student must have the TIP in their possession when operating a motor vehicle during the behind the wheel portion of instruction and when accompanied by a licensed driver education instructor or during the administration of a road skills test.  


Upon completion of driver’s education, the TIP will be surrendered to OMV along with proof of completion of the appropriate driver’s education course and any other necessary documents.  There is no additional cost to convert from the TIP to a Learner’s Permit for a minor.  


Items to Bring to the Office of Motor Vehicles to obtain a Temporary Instruction Permit for Driver’s Education:


Minor Students (14 years to 17 years old)-items to bring every time a minor fors to the OMV

  • Original or State Certified Birth Certificate (no photocopies)

  • Social Security Card

  • School Enrollment Form – student must be at least in the 8th grade

  • Original or Court Certified Custody Papers (if there are any)

  • Legal Custodial/Domiciliary Parent/Guardian with their Driver’s License or State ID Card




 Adult Students (18 years old and older)

  • Original or State Certified Birth Certificate (no photocopies)

  • Social Security Card

  • Proof of residence (Two proof of residences if applying for a Real ID)

*Note: If an adult has a valid Louisiana State ID already issued and their Social Security Number is in OMV’s system, then only the ID and Proof of Residency is needed.



Cost of Temporary Instruction Permit is $32.25 with a possible service fee up to $6.00.

Forms of payment are Cash, Credit/Debit Card, Money Order, and Check (check number must be over 1500 to be accepted).  Convenience fees apply for Credit/Debit Cards and Checks.

bottom of page